Makeup essentials revisited #WhatsInMyMakeupBag
05 Thursday Jan 2017
Benefit, Bobbi Brown corrector, body shop, bronzed shimmer, Clinique, color tattoo, colour pop lip, creamy beige, Illamasqua, Illamasqua Infinity Gel Liner, matte lip liquid, Maybelline, maybelline color drama intense lip paint, MUA Luxe, NYX blush stick, photo matte eyes, rollerlash mascara, Smashbox
It’s been a good four years since I last shared what’s in my makeup bag. Since then my makeup style has really evolved in sync with changes in my confidence and personal style. My first #WhatsInMyMakeupBag (Sep 2012) totalled about £200, with the follow-up in December 2012 totalling a modest £103.
THEN: December 2012
NOW: January 2017
- Smashbox Photo Matte Eyes mini-palette £12.25 from outlet store (RRP £17.50)
- Benefit Rollerlash mascara £19.50
- Illamasqua Infinity gel liner £12 with pro discount (RRP £20)
- Maybelline Color Tattoo Leather Effect in Creamy Beige £5
- Bobbi Brown Corrector in Dark Peach £13.65 with pro discount (RRP £19.50)
- Smashbox BB Cream in Light/ Medium & Halo Hydrating Powder £27 (in Try-It kit, full size RRP £27 and £34 respectively)
- NYX Stick Blushes in Pink Poppy & Water Lily £3.60 each (with old pro discount, now discontinued in UK?)
- MUA Luxe Bronzed Shimmer stick £4
- Clinique Pop Lip Colour & Primer in Nude £free (free with magazine, full size RRP £16)
- Maybelline Color Drama Intense Lip Paint in Stripped Down £5
- Body Shop Matte Lip Liquid in Tahiti Hibiscus £3.60 sale price (RRP £6)
Total cost of my January 2017 makeup bag…
As I like high-performing products, I was expecting the total to be a lot higher than that, but actually it’s only a little more than my 2012 makeup bag contents, thanks to the pro discounts and the free Clinique lipstick!
Then & Now
Back in 2012 I was all about the medium cover foundation, matte skin and dewy/ satin texture lip in a bold shade. A quick smudge of liner, a coat of mascara and I was done.
Fast forward to 2017, my skin has cleared of acne and so I go lighter in coverage using a BB cream. My lip colours now are either muted nudes or a classic red. Gone are the fuchsia lips I used as a security blanket (if you’re rocking a fuchsia lip, ain’t no-one looking at your acne-affected skin) and I’m now showing off my new-found clear skin as my best feature.
Goodbye 2012 matte skin/ satin lip, Hello 2017 dewy skin, matte lip.