Get the look: long-wear day to night party
11 Monday Aug 2014
Last Friday, I had a family mehendi party to attend straight after work. Woo-hoo! Party over here… oh dear I’m still in party mood. The ‘come down’ hasn’t hit me yet.
Anyway, I wanted a look that wouldn’t look out of place in the office, but would take me straight to the party at 6. I applied my make-up at 7am-ish, and then just added a brighter gloss over the lips in the evening. No touch-ups at all other than one single application of gloss in the evening and it was going strong until 1am… here’s how.
- Prep skin well with a light moisturiser/ hydrating cream. Right now, I’m loving the Body Shop Aloe Vera Gel, as I’ve run out of my Illamasqua Hydra Veil.
- Apply liquid foundation (I used Urban Decay Naked Skin, mixed with a few drops of the Urban Decay Bronzing Balm) using the side of a Beauty Blender (other egg-shaped alternatives are available) in a bouncing motion. Keep bouncing over lightly from centre of face outwards for a minute or so until you have your desired level of coverage.
- Pat a little colour corrector (my favourite is Bobbi Brown corrector in Dark Peach) under the eyes and spray the tip of the egg-sponge with setting spray again. Then lightly press and roll under the eyes to press the colour corrector into the skin, to apply colour and set it at the same time.
- Then spritz the underneath rounded side of the egg sponge with setting spray again and press into liquid or cream blush (I used Makeup Revolution liquid blush). Apply this to cheeks in a bouncing motion, starting at the apples and working upwards towards the temples.
- Sweep a little face powder over eyelids (a little Bourjois Healthy Balance powder) to keep excess oils at bay, and neutralise any colouration on your lids.
- Tight-line eyes by sweeping the upper waterline with a waterproof kohl pencil (I’m loving the Smashbox Limitless liner).
- Add a coat of waterproof mascara to separate and define lashes (Smashbox Full Exposure is my current favourite).
- Pop on a slick of matte lip cream colour to lips (NYX Soft Matte Lip cream come in a fabulous selection of nudes and brights, I used Addis Ababa), and you’re good to go.
After work, I just applied a little Revlon ColourBurst lipgloss in Adorned over my lips, threw on my outfit and I was out the door. When I tip-toed back into my sisters house at 1am, post party, my make-up was still beautifully intact, with just a little dewy shine on my forehead. To be honest, blotting paper would have sorted that right out, but I was too busy enjoying the mending party to care.
So try this one yourself. It’s nothing tricky, no fancy products, just a change in application technique.